Friday, June 29, 2012

Job opening - Make kick ass games & push the iPad to its limits at Phoenix Guild (Burlingame, CA; San Francisco, CA)

Founded by Jason Citron, the guy behind OpenFeint, we're making a multiplayer game for gamers on the iPad. Yay.


Rather than more boring job description blah blah, how about a short story!


Why am *I* starting Phoenix Guild?


I see a great opportunity to break into the market and build the kinds of games I love. Ever since I was three feet tall and snagged my first coin off the top of a Goomba's head, I wanted to make video games. I have spent the better part of 15 years programming games and took the plunge into startup land a few years ago when the App Store opened. I learned a lot of important things from building my previous company, OpenFeint. Like how to manage 100 employees (crazyness!) or scale a live service to 120,000,000 users (even more crazyness!).


I have a funny memory of being in DisneyLand with my family when our servers went down. I got a text message on the Indiana Jones ride just as I pa! ssed by the giant flaming skull. As soon as we evaded the falling boulders, I literally left my family at the exit and ran to the lockers on Main Street. I had brought a small netbook and verizon air card with me just in case this happened. I grabbed it from the locker and proceeded to spend the next two hours sitting outside a fake ice cream shop in Terminal fixing our servers. And it was fun!


Now, I'm going back to my roots and applying that knowledge to building a truly unique games company. Hopefully no DisneyLand interruptions this time...


So, I'm looking for someone to join my small team who has a deep understanding of modern real-time game development, preferably with console and/or PC experience. Someone who wants to build genre defining games that can reach one billion users. We will ship our first fun & right-sized game this year to test the waters.


You can read ! more about the company and my personal background at our not y! et awesome website: http://www.phoenixguild.com



Apply for this job vacancy

No comments:

Post a Comment